Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Jen's Party

So I've been working with my friend Jen for several weeks, lending "event planning/general fluffing" services in the days leading up to her parents' fiftieth anniversary party. We had grand plans for elaborate outdoor tents and an overall "poolside, Newport Beach" vibe. And then the rains returned to Tarrant County . . . and hovered. Party started at 7 pm tonight, and as of 4 pm we were still checking the weather radar trying to decide whether to set up outside. Ultimately, given wet grass and mugginess issues, we opted to set up the dining spaces indoors with the hope that cocktail hour before and dessert after could be held al fresco. The last-minute decision meant making some big (and quick!) changes to the house: basically, we relocated half of the living room into a sunroom, threw the other half of the living room into the garage, and pretty much upended the apple cart. Sometimes good things come out of upended apple carts - Jen loved the new look of the sunroon, and at press time the furniture very well may stay where it is, and new furniture may get purchased for the living room. All's well that ends well. Pictures in the slide show below are horrid - the good camera is being returned for warranty service, and the Sony DSC and its strobe-light-from-Hades flash hate me (yeah, yeah, I lost the little telescoping thingy that minimizes the light; I'm sure it's around here somewhere). Plus my batteries ran out at the last minute, and I had to whip out the camera phone. When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade; when life hands me washed-out photos, I experiment with Picasa filters, so forgive the God-awful arthouse quality of these! There was a professional photog in the house, and when I get some good pictures I will add them to this Blog, for those who have been listening to me drone endlessly about fans and candle lanterns.

Jen's Party

No comments: