Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Saturday, July 24, 2010

That Thing You Do (With Tomatoes)

It's been awhile since I put any recipes on here. This one was requested by a couple of folks after I served it last week. An easy and really good appetizer (or could serve as a side salad), filled with the flavors of summer . . . .

(From the July 2010 issue of Southern Living)

HEIRLOOM TOMATOES WITH FRESH PEACHES, GOAT CHEESE AND PECANS

Whisk together 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar, 1 garlic clove, minced, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir in 1 large peeled and diced fresh peach and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil. Spoon over sliced heirloom tomatoes (about 2 lbs); top with 3 ozs. crumbled goat cheese and 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper to taste.

Yield: 6 servings.

I omitted the garlic clove, left the peel on the peach and cut the tomatoes into chunks rather than slices (since I served this as an appetizer, I was going for precut forkfuls). I used a honey goat cheese from Central Market that added a little sweetness to counteract the vinegar bite. Super yummy stuff!

No comments: