Monday, November 3, 2008
Anniversary Tree Update
We decided to dig our own hole rather than hire it done, and we did it by the numbers - called the "One Call" number and had the phone, electric and gas companies come out and identify their lines for us. The electric company's response was "N/A," because the lines into our house are above-ground. The line from the house to the carriage house, on the other hand, turned out to be underground - as Parnell (or rather, Parnell's pick axe) discovered. Fortunately, the breaker did its thing, and he wasn't electrocuted (in fact, the line didn't even spark). However . . . the wires are too short to be stretched, so we're looking at a wire splice, a PVC pipe splice, and much insulation, since we'll be watering the area once the tree goes in the ground. Long story short, it would have been cheaper to hire someone than to fix our mistake! We'll have to remember that the next time we catch the do-it-yourself bug.