Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Monday, July 28, 2014

Ain't That a Kick In the . . . Stomach?


I've been having tummy troubles.  The last couple of days have been less than pleasant.  But I am improving.  For starters, I am no longer praying to die.  I take that as a very good sign.  Also: I had my first food craving, followed by my second.  Food cravings are a good sign that your stomach has decided to rally?

My first craving hit at 2 am this morning.  By midnight, I had managed to string together three "sleeps" - two hours, then another two hours, and then four - and since (even when sick) I have trouble staying down for more than eight hours at a clip, I was wide awake during the 12-to-2 slot.  So I watched Sarah Silverman's "We Are Miracles" and got caught up on "So You Think You Can Dance," and, as I was thinking about drifting back to sleep, I had a highly specific craving for - fried chicken.  Which is totally weird, because I don't actually like fried chicken.  I decided to ignore this first craving and wait for one involving avocados.  I always crave avocados after anything stomach-related.  I think it's a replenishment-of-potassium thing.

Sure enough, about 10 am this morning:  Jersey Mike's #7 (turkey and provolone) sub on white bread (I never eat white bread, either, but what the hey?) with avocado, served "Mike's Way" (lettuce, tomato, oil and vinegar).  Spouse was heading to a client meeting and told me that he would be finished around 11:30 and would check on me at that point, and I told him to call first, because I was pretty sure that I would be calling in a sandwich order that he would need to pick up for me.

He did.  I did.  He did.  And it was just what the doctor ordered.  Feeling much more human.  And back to blogging.

The downside to getting off of Facebook?  I don't turn on my computer as much, for anything.  So I have a backlog of things to blogs to post.  But there's never a better time for playing catch-up than when you're bed-ridden, so I declare today Blog Catch-Up Day.

Olly, olly, oxen-free.

No comments: