Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Monday, July 28, 2014

Culturally Mormon(ish): It's a Dry Happy


I went to happy hour and didn't drink (well, I drank - one club soda with lime, one San Pellegrino - I just didn't drink-drink). 

And I enjoyed myself.

Because I am a perverse person, I have to say that I enjoyed the reactions of my friends almost as much as I enjoyed their company.

"So . . . no drinking, at all?"

"I mean, I'm not saying never.  I'm just not having anything today."

"But there's no reason?"

"Well, not an 'I'm an alcoholic' type of reason.  Or a liver-related one.  But, yeah, overall health.  That's a reason, right?  The fact is, I'm not an alcoholic.  I've always been able to stop drinking when I wanted to.  And I want to start taking advantage of that."

And then I ordered a happy-hour plate of caprese salad, hold the mozzarella, because that sounded better than requesting "a mound of tomato slices with a little basil, olive oil and vinegar."  Waitress still gave me an odd look, and my friends looked even more confused.

"Want a shrimp?"

"No, thank you."

"They're good."

"They look good.  And you are sweet to offer.  But I'm only eating veggies today.  And, to anticipate your next question, no, I'm really not a pod person.  I'm me - just a trying-to-be-healthier me."

For those scoring at home, I did have a drink later that week.  Two, actually - on National Tequila Day.  True to my original threat, I was "that" girl and asked for an on-the-rocks margarita, made with fresh lime juice and no mix.  The bartender at the country club's poolside bar had zero issue with my request and handed me the tastiest marg that I have ever consumed on the premises.  Huh.  All of this time . . . and so many borderline-palatable mix-based margaritas consumed, when I could have been drinking tasty fresh ones instead.  Live and learn.

I think I am evolving towards a "once a week" rule.  Had a margarita on Thursday?  Don't have another alcoholic beverage until (at least) next Thursday.  Attended a birthday party and had a cupcake on Saturday?  Absolute prohibition on sweets until next Saturday, up for negotiation after that.

But I will continue to be social on the in-between days.  And probably continue to confuse the heck out of people in the process.

No comments: