Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Poaching the Perimeter: Photo Props and The Art of War

This week's steal from the Target Dollar Spot:  prop eyeglasses (complete with hologram eyes!), stick-on handlebar mustaches and plastic swirl lollipops, which will really come in handy if I ever get around to creating an old-timey photo booth like you see at all of the cool weddings and hipster backyard shindigs these days: 


(Highly amusing images courtesy of the Weddingbee site.)

Except that I will never get around to doing that.  And, also, if I ever actually got around to hanging up a backdrop, et cetera, et cetera, the fact that I can only get my camera to behave if I am taking pictures of fireworks (see yesterday's blog post) as opposed to human faces makes the whole thing an exercise in futility.  (Unless I only invite fireworks to the party, as opposed to humans.  Then we're golden.)

So, instead, I am taking the photo props to a Third of July party that we are attending later in the day, and hopefully someone with a better camera than mine can get use out of them.

Also at the Dollar Spot this week:  a paperback edition of Sun Tzu's "The Art of War."  I AM NOT MAKING THAT UP.  AND, YES, IT WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THE SILLY EYEGLASSES AND ADHESIVE MUSTACHES AND PLASTIC PROP LOLLIPOPS.  Does this win the award for oddest Dollar Spot item ever?  Because I think it should.  And if there is no such award I think that it's high time that we give one.  Although, all kidding aside, you have to give props to Target's buyers for seeking to bring historical and cultural relevance - and a basic understanding of military strategy - to the masses.  All at a reasonable price point.

I did not pick up a pocket copy of The Art of War.  Although I am regretting that decision, because I think Sun Tzu's teachings are particularly relevant to the experience of the multitasking mother.  Specifically, I'm referring to this chestnut:

Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?


I mean, the mind reels.  Seriously.

No comments: