Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Eat This: Peanut Butter Syrup


I made enough pancakes to feed a small army on Sunday.  I figured, what the heck?  Might as well knock a bunch out at once, and refrigerate or freeze some to heat up on Monday and beyond.  And if you know your stove and your pan pretty well, there's a rhythm to making pancakes that actually lends itself to an extended session.  As in, you squirt a pancake into the pan (okay, you might not squirt your pancakes, but I do, on account of how my mother gifted me with a way-nifty batter squeeze bottle from Williams-Sonoma), take on a half-minute project (put a few dishes in the dishwasher, fill a pet food dish, whatever), flip the pancake, attend to another small project, remove the pancake to a dish, and repeat.  You can clean most of your kitchen while you are making pancakes, if you time it right and you tackle things on a DIAM basis.  (In Junior League and other service organizations, you have DIAD, or "Done in a Day," projects, and around the house I tend to categorize things into DIADs, DIAHs and DIAMs.)  The pancakes warm in the oven as I add to their number, or sometimes I just nuke them in the micro at the end.

But not before nuking this lovely concoction.

PEANUT BUTTER SYRUP

Scoop ¼ cup creamy peanut butter into a microwave-safe bowl and pour ½ cup maple syrup over top. Heat in microwave on HIGH, stirring at 15-second intervals until mixture is smooth. Pour over waffles, pancakes or French toast.

I like mine to be a little on the thick side, so I go for more of a 1:1 ratio.  Absolutely delicious over banana pancakes, or regular pancakes topped with banana slices.

No comments: