Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Monday, August 22, 2011

Kid Stuff: Phoning It In

Today marks the Big Kid's first day of sixth grade. His schedule includes Honors/Pre-AP math, language arts, social studies and science, and botany for an elective. I'm confident that he will excel in all of them and apply himself to the nth degree - notwithstanding the following evidence to the contrary, culled from various writing journals and other school papers that I discovered during our ongoing clean-out:

HOW TO ADD

First you add the ones. If they add up to nine or over you add another ten. Then you add the tens. After that you add it all up.

Um, isn't there a rule about not defining a word with that word - four times? He did include an illustrative example (58 + 26 = 84).

WHAT DO I THINK ABOUT WHEN I SEE THE AMERICAN FLAG?

When I see the flag I feel brave. I also feel free. I feel . . . I just can't explain it. Okay, I just can't explain how I feel. I just can't.

No comments: