Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Kid Stuff: Things My 12 Year-Old Mathlete Says


"Hey, Mom, can you take me to McDonald's on March 14th at 3:14?"

"Which 3:14?"

"Huh?  Oh, in the afternoon."

"But you'll be in school . . . oh, okay, Spring Break.  Let's see:  March 14th, Pi Day, so you want a fried pie from McDonald's at 3:14?"

"Why would I want a fried pie?"

"Because . . . it's PI Day."

"But you know that I don't like pie."

"Ohhhhkay.  So, if not for pie, why McDonald's, exactly?"

"I want to order an apple juice, an Egg McMuffin and a Sausage Egg McMuffin."

"Please continue."

"An apple juice, Egg McMuffin and Sausage Egg McMuffin, with tax, cost $3.14."

"GOT IT.  Small problem, though."

"And that would be?"

"You can't order off of the breakfast menu at 3:14 pm."

[Pause while he's thinking.]

"Hey, Mom, can you set your alarm and take me through the McDonald's drive-thru on March 14th at 3:14 am?"

I [heart] my mathlete.  Possibly even enough to take him through a McDonald's drive-thru at 3:14 am.

No comments: