Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pinterest: The Tipping Point in Action

One of the many reasons that I love Pinterest.  And there are SOOOOOOOOO MAAAAAAAAAANY reasons . . . .

Seriously, tell me that this isn't the "tipping point" principle come to life:



[Sing it with me.] ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHERS . . . ONE OF THESE THINGS JUST DOESN'T BELONG.

"Judith Ann and 196 others repinned your pin."  Yup, it appears that the sunflower cake utilizing yellow Peeps chicks as petals just done tipped.  Because someone in the "pin chain" is either a connector, a maven or a salesman.  Possibly, all three.  No, probably all three.  I need to re-read The Tipping Point.  Loved that book - not just a little bit, but a "Def Con Pinterest" WHOLE LOT-A LOVE.

So I get geekily excited when a Pin tips - because I want to know:  why did it tip, and who pushed it over the edge?  Why, for example, was this Mr. Peeps Sunflower Cake's moment, when so many other ironic Peeps-related dessert concepts were there for the taking from my "Peep-alicious" board? 


Rice Krispie Treat Peeps Pops:  5 repins.


Peeps Push Pops:   2 repins.  Why?  Because they look intimidating?  Or because the decapitated bunnies are offputting?


Tuxedo Peeps:  1 like, 2 repins.  C'MON, PEOPLE!  YOU USE THE SAME TECHNIQUE AS YOU USE TO MAKE A TUXEDO STRAWBERRY, BUT YOU DIP PEEPS IN THE CHOCOLATE.  These are whimsical dessert GOLD.

Hey, I just realized that the common denominator is Peeps Bunnies versus Peeps Chicks.  Bunnies:  apparently, not hot.  Chicks:  tres hot.

Heading home to dip Peeps Chicks in melted dessert toppings in the interest of creating the next big meme.

(For links to these and other Peeps- and other spring-themed desserts and crafts, visit my Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/manicmomma/peep-alicious/.  Be sure to check out the Lemon Peeps Tart - it's a lemon meringue tart with Peeps where the meringue should be.  I can't tell if the Peeps on top are Bunnies or Chicks, on account of how someone took a creme brulee torch to them.  Kind of sad, really.  I guess we'll know if they're Chicks if the thing tips . . . .)

No comments: