Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fun on the Interwebs: These Are Not Your Grandmother's Cross-Stitch Patterns

Friend Sarah sent this image to me back in December, and I commented, "If only they included a pattern":


Get it? Jingle bells, Batman smells?

I do cross-stitch, and I also needlepoint. Or, I did, past-tense.  Haven't done either in awhile - although I am working on a bargello project. SLOWLY. I designed the pattern myself - a zig-zag design, using heathered yarn to mimic the blue and purple drip-dyed Ikat print on the throw pillows in our den. See, this is what happens when a person with a decent grasp of spatial relationships, a "visual" learning style and some stitchwork proficiency finds herself coveting an Ikat pillow from Madeline Weinrib Atelier and a bargello pillow from Jonathan Adler simultaneously.


My pillow hopefully will look like the love child of these pillows.

So there's a chance that I would stitch a Batman sampler if I could find the pattern. Haven't found one - but, then again, I haven't searched for one, either.

However, I did find this completely on accident:


It's a Wonder Woman cross-stitch pattern, courtesy of Stitch Cross Stitch's Etsy site. Don't have any use for a Wonder Woman throw pillow or such, but it's nice to know that the option is out there. Also "out there" (and I put that phrase in quotes, because it's layered with meanings): the following pop culture-inspired cross-stitch patterns on the same Web site.

Jesus (velvet painting edition)
Rosie the Riveter
Audrey Hepburn
Che Guevara
The Beatles
A "little green man" alien (Roswell edition) flashing a peace sign
Kurt Cobain
King Tut

But no Batman - and no Batmobile, sans wheel. No egg-laying Joker, either.

No comments: