Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Adventures in Party Planning: Royal Opportunity for Entertaining


The idea of a royal wedding party intrigues me, primarily because I cannot fathom who would get up at 4:30 am to attend - let alone throw - such a party.

Okay, so I got up at 4:30 (or before) to watch the wedding of Charles and Di, but that was a different kettle of fish and chips.  In no particular order:

1.  I was in junior high, and I was an incurable romantic;
2.  It was the summer, and I was at my grandparents' house, which meant that there wasn't much on my day's agenda save for swimming, driving the golf cart and walking the course after hours to feed ducks and look for abandoned balls - thus, going back to bed after watching the wedding was a viable option;
3.  Cool stuff on TV was few and far between (this was back in the era when kids watched the Jerry Lewis Telethon and thought it was kind of a big deal); and
4.  We didn't have DVR's back then.

I do plan to watch the wedding, but not in real time.  However, I am toying with the idea of serving a royal wedding-themed breakfast to the fam when we do get up.  Found some inspiration on the Internet:


eighteen9's Etsy site has these great postcard invitations.   Love 'em.

Saw these on "Today," I think, during that show's segment about royal wedding viewing parties?  They are from Paper & Cake Printable Partyware, you download the images and (I guess) attach them to your own sticks.  Idea is to have guests hold these up and snap Polaroids of them "in character."



Bunting - such a British party concept.  Lots of variations are being sold on Etsy, but I like this one from ShortersShop.  I particularly like that the proprietress refers to the fabric used as "hessian" - British for "burlap."

These cups are from Plum Party:


As are these great tea bags.  (The paper bride and groom are designed to drape over your tea cup.)


Know what goes great with tea? Tea towels. I lurrrrrrrrrve this one, from London Etsy retailer The Screen Prince.


It is so funny and cute; I want to marry it.  In Westminster Abbey.  At o' dark thirty on Friday, April 29th.

No comments: