Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fun on the Interwebs: After-Midnight Handbag Shopping

I purchased two bags from BBOS Private Sale (www.bagborroworsteal.com) Friday night. Actually, it was late Saturday morning. I know this because my credit card company saw fit to make me call in to verify the purchase. God's honest truth, the entire reason that they found my purchase suspicious was that it was consummated after midnight. Dear Credit Cards R Us (name has been changed to protect the not-so-innocent), while I appreciate you having my back and all, this is seriously getting old. And if you're going to be THAT reactionary, you need to take the time to get to know my sleeping/shopping schedule.

I briefly flirted with buying a vintage bag from another site, but I chickened out, because it's tough to tell if you're getting the genuine article or a knock-off. The benefit to BBOS (adjunct to the Bag, Borrow or Steal program, which allows you to rent bags, a la Carrie Bradshaw) is that you know that the bag is genuine, you know that it's gently used (they won't sell anything below "excellent used condition") and they refurbish the bags as needed. In fact (as I learned as I surfed their site, AFTER MIDNIGHT - are you reading this, Credit Cards R Us? You probably are, given that you and the other big credit card companies are all Big Brother-ish), they have a separate refurbishing service, which will accept your old bags and return them to you in like-new condition.

Long story short, I am awaiting the UPS man's delivery of this highly versatile tan Francesco Biasia bucket bag:


and this not-so-versatile (but sort-of-versatile in purple-passionate Fort Worth, Texas, home of the Horned Frogs) Cole Haan mega-bag:


I say mega-bag because it's something like 18 inches long. It's a suitcase, basically. And I'm okay with that. Trust me, I'll fill it up.

Got each of them for 67% off of retail.

Dilemma is that I now have $10 in credits, but I can only apply those to RENT a bag. Never been tempted to rent a bag before, but might consider trying it out once.

Big Brother over at Credit Cards R Us no doubt will have an aneurysm over the notion of me RENTING a purse with a credit card. Particularly if I complete the transaction after midnight.

Suddenly, the idea of renting a purse seems more appealing . . . .

No comments: