Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fun on the Interwebs: Brickipedia, the LEGO Wiki

Occasionally, I get the sneaky suspicion that my children are building Web sites for public consumption when I'm not looking.  And this one has my older boy's name written all over it. 

Brickipedia is a LEGO-specific version of Wikipedia.  If you type, say, "Grand Moff Tarkin," into the search feature, Brickipedia tells you the back story of the character as he exists in the Star Wars universe, and then it advises you of his "appearances" in "6211 Imperial Star Destroyer," "10188 Death Star" and three LEGO Star Wars videogames.  If you are unfamiliar with LEGO/Star Wars/LEGO Star Wars, (1) good for you and (2) the numbers represent building kits.  So when we say that Tarkin "appears" in 6211 Imperial Star Destroyer, what we really mean is, "The component parts to his little minifigure body appear in THAT box, amidst a bunch of OTHER plastic blocks."

Who needs this information?  Don't answer.  I should also point out that, as I am writing this, there are 14,442 separate pages of information on Brickipedia - and counting.  What the what?  FOURTEEN THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED FORTY TWO PAGES?  Who ARE these people? 

Don't answer that one, either.  They are grown-up versions of my children.  And, no doubt in my children's eyes, they are total bad-a** rock stars.

Okay - I just hit refresh, and we are up to 14,454 pages.  And counting.

Wow.  Just wow.  Just when you think that you have reached the end of the Interwebs, you know?

No comments: