Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Fun on the Interwebs: The Oatmeal

I discovered the book that was spawned by the subversive cartoon site, theoatmeal.com, before I found the site itself - but now I am a fan of both.  The book is called "5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth (And Other Useful Guides)."  If ever a title was designed to suck me in - that would be the title.  Among the guides in the book, which also appear on the site:

"8 ways to tell if your loved ones plan to eat you."  (Among the eight ways:  "Fattening you up," "Slipping strange objects in the shower" - accompanied by an image of a bottle of steak sauce next to a bottle of shampoo - and "Sneaking vegetables into the bathtub.")

"6 reasons bacon is better than true love."  ("True love only happens once in a lifetime.  Bacon can happen seven times a day, if you want it to.")

"6 reasons man nipples are awesome." ("WILDERNESS SAFETY!  By showing your nipples, you can trick predators into thinking you have compound eyes."  This caption is accompanied by a drawing of a man exposing his nipples - the "How You Look" image - and a drawing of a ginormous spider - "How A Predator Sees You.")

I could go on and on.  Seriously, I could go on for days.  Save me the trouble, and check out the site.  Or the book.  Or both.

No comments: