Personal Statement

Personal Statement

Friday, May 6, 2011

Things I'm Digging: Workday Phone Calls from My Kids

Cell phone rings.  Ringtone is "Return of the Mack," so I know that it's my husband.  (This is an inside joke.  My husband pronounces our last name "MACK Linchey," versus "Mick GLINCHEY."  I went years without commenting.  Oldest child was not so circumspect:  "Dad, you're pronouncing our name wrong."  Mack is also the name that he gives the hostess when he puts us on the waitlist at restaurants.  Reason:  if you write Parnell a certain way in cursive, connecting the R to the N and making the second L smaller than the first L, you get Pamela.  This has happened more than once:  "Pamela.  Pamela, your car is ready."  Forty minutes later, my spouse complains about the cruddy service - and notices his car sitting there, where it's been sitting for forty minutes.  Waiting for 'Pamela' to claim it.  True story.)

Me:  "Hey.  Why are you calling me on my cell at work?"
Husband:  "Um, because I didn't pay attention to which number I was dialing.  Here, your youngest child wants to talk to you."
[Shuffle . . . shuffle . . . click.  Deathly silence.  On account of how someone hung up on me.]

I hit redial.

Husband:  "Sorry about that.  He wanted to tell you that he lost his tooth."
Me:  "Yeah, I figured.  Put him on and let him tell me himself."
[Shuffle . . . shuffle . . . no click.]
Parker:  "Mom, MOM.  I LOST MY FIRST TOOTH.  AT SCHOOL."
Me:  "Congratulations, buddy."
Parker:  "IT CAME OUT AT SCHOOL.  AND THEY PUT IT IN A RED TOOTH CHEST.  AND [mumble, mumble] BLOOD."
[More shuffling.]
Connor:  "Hi, Mom. Parker gave me the phone."
Me:  "Ohhhhhkay.  Why?  Is he bleeding CURRENTLY? Profusely?"
Connor:  "No.  It's stopped.  He just didn't have anything else to say to you.  Also, I wanted to tell you that there's a surprise waiting for you at home.  And I wanted to tell you about it and read part of it to you."
Me:  "Ohhhhhkay.  But wouldn't it cease to be a surprise, then?"
Connor:  "It's a card.  A ginormous one, by the way."
[Oh, good - more ginormous cardboard - I'll store it with the History Fair and Science Fair backboards.]
Connor:  "We did acronyms with the letters of our mom's names.  And timelines."
Me:  "Timelines?"
Connor:  "Yeah, yours is shaped like a K."
[He then proceeds to try to recite the text on the card from memory.]
Connor:  "Wait, that's not it.  Um - uh - let me just get it."
[More shuffling.  He reads the card to me.]
Connor:  "And then there's the timeline shaped like a K, and next to it you die."
Me:  "EXCUSE ME?"
Connor:  "You know, a die.  Like dice, but singular."
Me:  "Oh.  A die."
Connor:  "Right, that's what I said."
Me:  "Um, why a die?"
Connor:  "I have no idea.  I just drew one."

Can't wait to see my timeline - which, apparently, references that (entirely non-existent) period of my life when I was a hardcore craps player.

No comments: